World Heritage Photos

Town of Bamberg

The Town of Bamberg is a remarkable example of a central European town with a basically early medieval plan. The Town of Bamberg stretches over seven hills, each hill topped by a church. The Town of Bamberg is often referred to as the Franconian Rome, because just like Rome, the town was built on seven Hills. The architecture of Bamberg had a strong influence on northern Germany, but also in surrounding countries, such as Poland and Hungary. In the 18th century Bamberg became a centre of the Enlightenment in southern Germany. Among the monuments in the Town of Bamberg is the 14th century Old Town Hall of Bamberg, built in the middle of the River Regnitz. Some other monuments are the Old Court and New Residence of Bamberg and the Bamberg Cathedral. The Bamberg Cathedral houses one of the most unique works of art, the stone statue of the Bamberger Reiter, the Bamberg Horseman. Little Venice is a colony of medieval half-timbered fisherman's houses along one side of the River Regnitz. The Baroque New Town hall of Bamburg was built by Balthasar Neumann in 1732-1737, it is situated on the Maximiliansplatz, the largest town square in Bamberg. Bamberg is located about 64 km from the World Heritage in Bayreuth and about 95 km from the World Heritage in Würzburg. The Town of Bamberg became an UNESCO World Heritage in 1993.

www.werelderfgoedfotos.nl   © Copyright   World Heritage Photos

Town of Bamberg - Town of Bamberg: The Old Town Hall was built in 1387. After a fire, the Old Town Hall  of Bamberg was rebuilt the period...

Town of Bamberg: The Old Town Hall was built in 1387. After a fire, the Old Town Hall 

of Bamberg was rebuilt the period 1461-1467. The Old Town Hall was converted into the

Baroque and Rococo style in the period 1744-1756. From the 10th century onwards, the

Town of Bamberg was an important link with people of Poland, Pomerania and several

other Slavic countries. The Town of Bamberg became an UNESCO World Heritage in 1993.

  1. Town of Bamberg - Town of Bamberg: The Old Town Hall was built in 1387. After a fire, the Old Town Hall  of Bamberg was rebuilt the period...

    Town of Bamberg: The Old Town Hall was built in 1387. After a fire, the Old Town Hall 

    of Bamberg was rebuilt the period 1461-1467. The Old Town Hall was converted into the

    Baroque and Rococo style in the period 1744-1756. From the 10th century onwards, the

    Town of Bamberg was an important link with people of Poland, Pomerania and several

    other Slavic countries. The Town of Bamberg became an UNESCO World Heritage in 1993.

  2. Town of Bamberg - Town of Bamberg: The half-timbered Corporal House of the Old Town Hall (on the right). The Old Town Hall of Bamberg was built in the middle...

    Town of Bamberg: The half-timbered Corporal House of the Old Town Hall (on the right).

    The Old Town Hall of Bamberg was built in the middle of the River Regnitz, it is accessible

    by two bridges. According to a legend, the bishop of Bamberg did not allow the inhabitants

    to build a town hall on the existing land, so they created a town hall on a man-made island

    in the Regnitz River. The Old Town Hall of Bamberg was built in the 14th century.

  3. Town of Bamberg - Town of Bamberg: Numerous frescoes adorn the façades of the Old Town Hall of Bamberg. The Old Town Hall is situated in the middle...

    Town of Bamberg: Numerous frescoes adorn the façades of the Old Town Hall of Bamberg.

    The Old Town Hall is situated in the middle of the River Regnitz and is unique in Germany.

    The frescoes depict the story of the construction of the building in the middle of the Regnitz.

    The Old Town hall (Altes Rathaus) was converted into the Rococo and Baroque style in the

    period 1744-1756, it has a fine Rococo Hall. The Old Town hall was first mentioned in 1387.

  4. Town of Bamberg - Town of Bamberg: The Michaelsberg Abbey was founded in 1015 and was built on the Michaelsberg. The Michaelsberg is one of...

    Town of Bamberg: The Michaelsberg Abbey was founded in 1015 and was built on the

    Michaelsberg. The Michaelsberg is one of Bamberg's seven hills. Michaelsberg Abbey

    was rebuilt in neo-Gothic style after a devastating fire in 1610. The terrace behind the

    Michaelsberg Abbey provides a magnificent view over the Town of Bamberg. The former

    Baroque garden of the abbey is accessible via the Benedictine Path (Benediktiner Weg).

  5. Town of Bamberg - Town of Bamberg: The organ of Michaelsberg Abbey. The vault of the abbey church is decorated with paintings of 578 flowers and...

    Town of Bamberg: The organ of Michaelsberg Abbey. The vault of the abbey church

    is decorated with paintings of 578 flowers and medicinal herbs. The flower beds in the

    courtyard garden of Michaelsberg Abbey show some of the 578 plants depicting on the

    vault of the abbey church. The flower beds of the abbey show also plants mentioned in

    the bible with the respective bible verses and the symbolic meaning and healing powers.

  6. Town of Bamberg - Town of Bamberg: The medieval Elisabeth's Church is situated in the Elisabeth's Square. In the middle of the 13th century, the church...

    Town of Bamberg: The medieval Elisabeth's Church is situated in the Elisabeth's Square.

    In the middle of the 13th century, the church was built as a chapel of the Elisabeth Hospital.

    Bamberg is home to the oldest Via Dolorosa in Germany, known as Bamberger Kreuzweg.

    The Via Dolorosa (Way of the Cross) is completely intact and is leading from the Elisabeth's

    Church to the Church of St. Getreu. The Bamberger Kreuzweg is dating back to 1503.

  7. Town of Bamberg - Town of Bamberg: Little Venice (Klein Venedig) seen from the Leinritt, the towpath on the opposite bank of the River Regnitz....

    Town of Bamberg: Little Venice (Klein Venedig) seen from the Leinritt, the towpath on the

    opposite bank of the River Regnitz. Little Venice was a colony of fishermen's houses, the

    houses of Little Venice are medieval half-timbered buildings, each house had its own jetty. 

    Little Venice is situated along one side of the River Regnitz. The Town of Bamberg gained

    status as an UNESCO World Heritage and was inscribed on the World Heritage List in 1993.

  8. Town of Bamberg - Town of Bamberg: The Schöne Pforte, the Beautiful Gateway, is leading into the inner courtyard of the Old Court. The...

    Town of Bamberg: The Schöne Pforte, the Beautiful Gateway, is leading into the inner

    courtyard of the Old Court. The Schöne Pforte is a sculpted masterpiece. The Old Court

    was built as the Prince-Bishops' palace in 1576. The Old Court is considered to be one of

    the first German Renaissance buildings. It houses a museum and St. Catherine's Chapel.

    The Old Court (Alte Hofhaltung) was once connected to the Imperial Bamberg Cathedral.

  9. Town of Bamberg - Town of Bamberg: St. Catherine's Chapel is situated in the inner courtyard of the Old Court (Alte Hofhaltung). The courtyard is...

    Town of Bamberg: St. Catherine's Chapel is situated in the inner courtyard of the Old Court

    (Alte Hofhaltung). The courtyard is surrounded by half-timbered buildings. The Old Court is

    the former imperial court and  Prince-Bishops' palace of Bamberg. The Prince Bishops of

    Bamberg lived also in Geyerswörth Castle. The castle was built in 1585-1587. The tower of

    Geyerswörth Castle offers one of the most splendid views of the historic Town of Bamberg.

  10. Town of Bamberg - Town of Bamberg: The famous statue of the Bamberger Reiter, the Bamberg Horseman. The Bamberger Reiter was made around 1235 by an...

    Town of Bamberg: The famous statue of the Bamberger Reiter, the Bamberg Horseman.

    The Bamberger Reiter was made around 1235 by an unknown artist. The noble figure of

    the horse and the regal posture of the rider illustrate the dignity of a noble man, but it is

    uncertain who the rider is. Bamberg Cathedral is adorned with masterly stone sculptures, 

    the Bamberger Reiter is the most important sculpture in the Imperial Bamberg Cathedral.

  11. Town of Bamberg - Town of Bamberg: The Romanesque-Gothic Prince's Portal is the main portal of Bamberg Cathedral. The Prince's Portal was...

    Town of Bamberg: The Romanesque-Gothic Prince's Portal is the main portal of Bamberg

    Cathedral. The Prince's Portal was completed in 1237. As in the Middle Ages, the portal is

    only used for certain services. The jambs of the Prince's Portal are adorned with statues

    of prophets and apostles, the tympanum over the portal depicts the Last Judgement. It is

    facing Cathedral Square. In winter the Prince's Portal is protected from frost by a wood

    casing. The Bamberg Cathedral houses the remains of Pope Clement II who died in 1047.

  12. Town of Bamberg - Town of Bamberg: The Adam's Portal of the Bamberg Cathedral, the Bamberg Cathedral is also known as Bamberger Dom St. Peter und St....

    Town of Bamberg: The Adam's Portal of the Bamberg Cathedral, the Bamberg Cathedral

    is also known as Bamberger Dom St. Peter und St. Georg. The present-day cathedral was

    completed in 1237. The cathedral shows both late Romanesque and Gothic elements. One

    of the most important sights inside the Bamberg Cathedral is the Bamberg Horseman, the

    Bamberger Reiter. Some other important sights inside the Bamberg Cathedral are the tomb

    of the imperial couple Heinrich II and Kunigunde, carved in 1513, the Marienaltar (1523), the

    statue of Bishop Friedrich von Hohenlohe (1352) and 13th century papal tomb of Clemens II.

  13. Town of Bamberg - Town of Bamberg: The entrance gate into the New Residence, the residence was built in 1602, the Baroque wings were built in 1697-1703....

    Town of Bamberg: The entrance gate into the New Residence, the residence was built in

    1602, the Baroque wings were built in 1697-1703. The Prince Bishops of Bamberg lived and

    governed in the New Residence until 1802. The New Residence, the Neue Residenz, houses

    a valuable collections of paintings. The Rose Garden, designed by Balthasar Neumann, has

    preserved its Baroque appearance, it offers beautiful views over Bamberg and St. Michael.

  14. Town of Bamberg - Town of Bamberg: The Baroque interior of the St. Stephan, the church is built on the most eastern of the seven hills of Bamberg. The...

    Town of Bamberg: The Baroque interior of the St. Stephan, the church is built on the most

    eastern of the seven hills of Bamberg. The church is dedicated to the martyr Stephanus.

    The St. Stephan was probably a gift of Empress Kunigunde. The St. Stephan 's Church was 

    consecrated by Pope Benedict III in 1020. The present building was built in the 17th century.

    The St. Stephan has been the main Protestant church of the Town of Bamberg since 1807.

  15. Town of Bamberg - Town of Bamberg: A roofline detail of the Baroque Villa Concordia. The water castle was built in the period 1716-1722. Villa...

    Town of Bamberg: A roofline detail of the Baroque Villa Concordia.

    The water castle was built in the period 1716-1722. Villa Concordia was built on the banks

    of the River Regnitz. Nowadays, it is home to the International Artists House Villa Concordia.

    In the 12th century, the architecture of Bamberg had a strong influence on the architecture in

    northern Germany, but also in surrounding countries, such as Poland and Hungary. 

  16. Town of Bamberg - Town of Bamberg: The birth house of Joseph Heller, a rich merchant and art collector, he donated his art collection the Bamberg State...

    Town of Bamberg: The birth house of Joseph Heller, a rich merchant and art collector, he

    donated his art collection the Bamberg State Library. In the 18th century Bamberg became

    a centre of the Enlightenment in southern Germany. The medieval and Baroque architecture

    of Bamberg strongly influenced northern Germany and Hungary. Philosophers and writers

    such as Hegel and Hofmann lived in Bamberg. Claus von Stauffenberg also lived in Bamberg.

  17. Town of Bamberg - Town of Bamberg: The Obere Pfarre, the Upper Parish, is the only pure Gothic church in Bamberg. The Wedding Portal is adorned...

    Town of Bamberg: The Obere Pfarre, the Upper Parish, is the only pure Gothic church in

    Bamberg. The Wedding Portal is adorned with Gothic statues. The Obere Pfarre was built

    in 1338-1350, it stands on Obere Pfarre Hill, Upper Parish Hill, one of the hills of Bamberg.

    Bamberg is often referred to as the Franconian Rome, because just like Rome, Bamberg 

    was built on seven Hills. The official name of the Upper Parish is the Church of Our Lady.

  18. Town of Bamberg - Town of Bamberg: The Baroque interior of the Upper Parish (Obere Pfarre) dates from 1711. The nave of the church is 50 years older...

    Town of Bamberg: The Baroque interior of the Upper Parish (Obere Pfarre) dates from 1711.

    The nave of the church is 50 years older than the Late Gothic chancel, whose foundations

    dates from 1375, flying buttresses support the high chancel. The Upper Parish houses a

    16th century painting by the Venetian painter Tintoretto: The Assumption of the Virgin Mary.

    The church is called Upper Parish by the locals, the official name is the Church of Our Lady.

  19. Town of Bamberg - Town of Bamberg: The Maximilian Fountain and the Baroque New Town Hall. The fountain was built in the Maximiliansplatz in 1880. The...

    Town of Bamberg: The Maximilian Fountain and the Baroque New Town Hall. The fountain

    was built in the Maximiliansplatz in 1880. The Maximilian Fountain is adorned with statues

    such as the statues of King Maximilian I of Bavaria, Emperor Heinrich II and Kunigunde.

    The Maximiliansplatz is the largest square in Bamberg, it is named 'Maxplatz' in short, and

    is dominated by the New Town Hall of Bamberg, built by Balthasar Neumann in 1732-1737. 

  20. Town of Bamberg - Town of Bamberg: Bamberg Cathedral and the New Residence seen from the Michaelsberg. The Town of Bamberg stretches over seven hills,...

    Town of Bamberg: Bamberg Cathedral and the New Residence seen from the Michaelsberg.

    The Town of Bamberg stretches over seven hills, each hill is topped by a church. Bamberg

    is home to numerous monuments from the 11th to the 18th century. Bamberg consists of

    three historical centres, Bergstadt, Inselstadt en Gärtnerstadt. All the centres are part of the

    UNESCO World Heritage. The Town of Bamberg became an UNESCO World Heritage in 1993.