World Heritage Photos

Muskauer Park / Park Muzakowski

Muskauer Park / Park Muzakowski: The Muskauer Park is located on the German-Polish border. In 1811, Prince Hermann von Pückler-Muskau inherited an estate in Bad Muskau, in that time a small town in Germany. Between 1815 and 1845, he laid out an English landscape garden around his castle. The Muskauer Park was bought by Prince Frederick of the Netherlands in 1846. The well-known landscape designer Eduard Petzold became the garden and park director. Eduard Petzold continued the vision of Prince Hermann von Pückler-Muskau and completed the Muskauer Park. The Muskauer Park stretches on both banks of the Neisse River. In 1945, as a result of the Potsdam Conference, the Neisse River became part of the natural border between Germany and Poland. Two thirds of the Muskauer Park is located in Poland, only one third in Germany. Both parts of the park are connected by bridges, among them the Double Bridge. Most of the buildings are located at the German side. The Muskauer Park is one of the most splendid achievements of landscape design in the beginning of the 19th century. The Muskauer Park / Park Muzakowski was declared an UNESCO World Heritage in 2004.

www.werelderfgoedfotos.nl   © Copyright   World Heritage Photos

Muskauer Park / Park Muzakowski - Muskauer Park / Park Muzakowski: The New Castle, the Neue Schloss Muskau, in the Muskauer Park. The park includes a man-made canal,...

Muskauer Park / Park Muzakowski: The New Castle, the Neue Schloss Muskau, in the Muskauer Park. The park includes a man-made canal, called Hermanns River Neisse, follies, ponds, flower gardens, several small bridges, an orangery, waterfalls, the Old Castle and an English landscape park. The Muskauer Park / Park Muzakowski was declared an UNESCO World Heritage in 2004.

  1. Muskauer Park / Park Muzakowski - Muskauer Park / Park Muzakowski: The New Castle, the Neue Schloss Muskau, in the Muskauer Park. The park includes a man-made canal,...

    Muskauer Park / Park Muzakowski: The New Castle, the Neue Schloss Muskau, in the Muskauer Park. The park includes a man-made canal, called Hermanns River Neisse, follies, ponds, flower gardens, several small bridges, an orangery, waterfalls, the Old Castle and an English landscape park. The Muskauer Park / Park Muzakowski was declared an UNESCO World Heritage in 2004.

  2. Muskauer Park / Park Muzakowski - Muskauer Park / Park Muzakowski: The well maintained grange buildings in the park. The park was bought by Prince Frederick of the Netherlands...

    Muskauer Park / Park Muzakowski: The well maintained grange buildings in the park. The park was bought by Prince Frederick of the Netherlands in 1846. Thanks to the careful preservation of the original parkland by the subsequent owners, such as Prince Frederick of the Netherlands, the Muskauer Park has retained its original character.

  3. Muskauer Park / Park Muzakowski - Muskauer Park / Park Muzakowski: The former houses of the office employees. Nowadays, the estate houses are converted into holiday...

    Muskauer Park / Park Muzakowski: The former houses of the office employees. Nowadays, the estate houses are converted into holiday apartments. The buildings are located on the German side of the Muskauer Park. The Muskauer Park is located on the German-Polish border, in the German town of Bad Muskau.

  4. Muskauer Park / Park Muzakowski - Muskauer Park  / Park Muzakowski: The Double Bridge across the Neisse River, the Muskauer Park stretches on both banks of the Neisse. After...

    Muskauer Park  / Park Muzakowski: The Double Bridge across the Neisse River, the Muskauer Park stretches on both banks of the Neisse. After WWII, as a result of the Potsdam Conference, the Neisse became a natural border between Poland and Germany. The left-bank German part and right-bank Polish part of the Muskauer Park are connected by the Double Bridge.

  5. Muskauer Park / Park Muzakowski - Muskauer Park / Park Muzakowski: The Oak Lake Waterfall (Eichsee Waterfall). A huge boulder is rising up out of the waterfall. The story...

    Muskauer Park / Park Muzakowski: The Oak Lake Waterfall (Eichsee Waterfall). A huge boulder is rising up out of the waterfall. The story behind this large boulder is: When Prince Hermann von Pückler-Muskau cheated on his wife Lucie again, she had the stone brought and sunk in the Oak Lake Waterfall as a sign of her displeasure.

  6. Muskauer Park / Park Muzakowski - Muskauer Park / Park Muzakowski: The Muskauer Park stretches on both banks of the Neisse River. In order to create a romantic park scenery,...

    Muskauer Park / Park Muzakowski: The Muskauer Park stretches on both banks of the Neisse River. In order to create a romantic park scenery, an artificial river branch was created, the so-called Herrmann's River Neisse (Hermannsneisse). The Muskauer Park covers a total area of about 830 hectare, the largest part of the park is situated in Poland.

  7. Muskauer Park / Park Muzakowski - Muskauer Park / Park Muzakowski: The Old Castle was destroyed during WWII, it was rebuilt in 1965-1972. Prince Hermann von Pückler-Muskau...

    Muskauer Park / Park Muzakowski: The Old Castle was destroyed during WWII, it was rebuilt in 1965-1972. Prince Hermann von Pückler-Muskau created an English garden landscape around his castle, and combined nature and architecture. He called his work 'Painting with nature', and he said: 'A park should be like an art gallery'.

  8. Muskauer Park / Park Muzakowski - Muskauer Park / Park Muzakowski: The decorated roofline of the New Castle, the Neue Schloss Muskau, was severely damaged during WWII and...

    Muskauer Park / Park Muzakowski: The decorated roofline of the New Castle, the Neue Schloss Muskau, was severely damaged during WWII and almost destroyed by a fire immediately after the end of the war. During the East German period, the castle remained a ruin. The restoration work started in 1995, the New Castle Muskau was opened to the public in 2008.

  9. Muskauer Park / Park Muzakowski - Muskauer Park / Park Muzakowski: The original Baroque New Castle was rebuilt into a Neo-Renaissance castle by the successors of Prince Hermann von...

    Muskauer Park / Park Muzakowski: The original Baroque New Castle was rebuilt into a Neo-Renaissance castle by the successors of Prince Hermann von Pückler-Muskau. It is surrounded by an English landscape park designed by the prince himself. The park is considered one of the most splendid achievements of landscape design in the beginning of the 19th century.