World Heritage Photos

Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin

Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin: Potsdam was the Royal Seat of the Brandenburg-Prussian rulers. Architects and artists created an ensemble of palaces, churches, parks and gardens in Berlin and Potsdam, Germany. Some of the monuments in Potsdam: Sanssouci Park is an ensemble of palaces and gardens in Potsdam, built under King Frederick the Great during the 18th century. Sanssouci Palace was built for King Frederick the Great in 1745-1747. Sanssouci Palace is often considered the German rival to Versailles, but it is far smaller. The Neues Palais (New Palace) was built under King Frederick the Great in 1763-1769. The Neues Palais was not the principal residence of King Frederick the Great, he used the Neues Palais for the reception of important royals and dignitaries, Frederick the Great lived in his favorite palace Sanssouci. The Chinese House is a garden pavilion built in Rococo style. The Chinese House is located near Sanssouci Palace and the Neues Palais in Sanssouci Park. In 1845-1848 the Church of Peace was built in Sanssouci Park. The Church of Peace houses the imposing Mausoleum of Kaiser Friedrich III and his wife Kaiserin Victoria. The Cecilienhof was builtin 1914-1917, the palace was created in the style of an English country house. The Cecilienhof was used during the Potsdam Conference in 1945. The Russian Colony Alexandrowka was built in 1826-1827 to house the Russian singers. The Russian Orthodox Alexander Nevsky Church was especially built for the Russian singers (prisoners of war) in the period 1826-1829. Besides the Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin, there are another two UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Berlin: Berlin Modernism Housing Estates and Museumsinsel (Museum Island), Berlin. Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin were declared an UNESCO World Heritage in 1990.

www.werelderfgoedfotos.nl   © Copyright   World Heritage Photos   classic car road trip  

Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin - Potsdam: The Russian Orthodox Alexander Nevsky Church in the Russian Colony Alexandrowka in Potsdam. The Russian Orthodox Alexander Nevsky...

Potsdam: The Russian Orthodox Alexander Nevsky Church in the Russian Colony

Alexandrowka in Potsdam. The Russian Orthodox Alexander Nevsky Church was specially

built for the Russian inhabitants of Alexandrowka in 1826-1829. The onion-shape is similar

to a candle flame which was believed to be the flame of faith reaching up to heaven, it also

symbolizes the prayers of the faithful drifting up to heaven. The Alexander Nevsky Church

is part of UNESCO World Heritage: Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin.

  1. Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin - Potsdam: The Russian Orthodox Alexander Nevsky Church in the Russian Colony Alexandrowka in Potsdam. The Russian Orthodox Alexander Nevsky...

    Potsdam: The Russian Orthodox Alexander Nevsky Church in the Russian Colony

    Alexandrowka in Potsdam. The Russian Orthodox Alexander Nevsky Church was specially

    built for the Russian inhabitants of Alexandrowka in 1826-1829. The onion-shape is similar

    to a candle flame which was believed to be the flame of faith reaching up to heaven, it also

    symbolizes the prayers of the faithful drifting up to heaven. The Alexander Nevsky Church

    is part of UNESCO World Heritage: Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin.

  2. Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin - Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin: A house in the Russian Colony Alexandrowka. The Russian Colony Alexandrowka was built in 1826-1827,...

    Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin: A house in the Russian Colony Alexandrowka.

    The Russian Colony Alexandrowka was built in 1826-1827, it was the home of Russian

    singers (prisoners of war). Alexandrowka consists of Russian Orthodox Alexander Nevsky

    Church and 13 wooden houses built in Russian style. Alexandrowka was modeled after the

    Russian village of Glosova nearby St. Petersburg. The Russian Colony Alexandrowka in

    Potsdam is part of the UNESCO World Heritage: Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin.

  3. Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin - Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin: The Chinese House is a garden pavilion in Sanssouci Park, built in 1754-1757. The Chinese House is...

    Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin: The Chinese House is a garden pavilion in

    Sanssouci Park, built in 1754-1757. The Chinese House is located near the Neues Palais

    and Sanssouci Palace. King Frederick the Great had the pavilion built to adorn his gardens

    and as a setting for small social events. It was his attempt to follow the Chinese fashion of

    18th century, which began in France. The Chinese House and Sanssouci Park in Potsdam

    are part of the UNESCO World Heritage: Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin.

  4. Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin - Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin: The tower of the Picture Gallery, the Bildergalerie. The Picture Gallery lies to the east...

    Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin: The tower of the Picture Gallery, the Bildergalerie.

    The Picture Gallery lies to the east of Sanssouci Palace, it was built in 1755-1764 under the

    rule of King Frederick the Great, a passionate collector of paintings. The Picture Gallery is

    the oldest museum built for a ruler in Germany. Due to the opening of the Altes Museum, a

    part of the collection was transferred to Berlin in 1829. Most of the paintings were robbed by 

    the Soviet Army during WWII, they returned in 1958, some of them are still in Russian hands.

  5. Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin - Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin: The Heilsbronn Porch of the Friedenskirche, the  Church of Peace, in Potsdam is a...

    Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin: The Heilsbronn Porch of the Friedenskirche, the

     Church of Peace, in Potsdam is a replica of a Roman porch.The Heilsbronn Porch is made

    of red terracotta. The church was built in 1845-1854. An arcade surround the courtyard of the

    Church of Peace. The church was based on Italian models. The Church of Peace in Potsdam

    is situated in the Marly Garden on the Green Fence in Park Sanssouci. The Church of Peace

    in Potsdam is part of the UNESCO World Heritage: Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin.

  6. Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin - Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin: The Church of Peace in Potsdam. The Church of Peace was built in the period 1845-1848. The...

    Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin: The Church of Peace in Potsdam.

    The Church of Peace was built in the period 1845-1848. The free-standing bell tower has

    seven open floors and four bells. The bell tower of the Church of Peace is 42 metres high.

    The design of the tower was based on the Basilica di Santa Maria in Cosmedin in Rome.

    The Church of Peace is situated in the Marly Garden in Potsdam. The Palaces and Parks

    of Potsdam and Berlin were inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1990.

  7. Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin - Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin: Interior of the Friedenskirche, Church of Peace. The Church of Peace is located...

    Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin: Interior of the Friedenskirche, Church of Peace.

    The Church of Peace is located in the Marly Garden, a part of Sanssouci Park in Potsdam.

    The church is a columned basilica and resembles an Italian monastery, it was consecrated

    in 1848. The 13th century Venetian mosaic above the apse came from a dilapidated church

    in Murano. The altar canopy was made of Siberian jasper, it was a gift of Tsar Nicholas I of

    Russia. Beneath the church lies the Royal Crypt.

  8. Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin - Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin: The Mausoleum of Kaiser Friedrich III and Kaiserin Victoria in the Church of Peace in Potsdam. In...

    Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin: The Mausoleum of Kaiser Friedrich III and

    Kaiserin Victoria in the Church of Peace in Potsdam. In the middle of the mausoleum

    stands the sculpted marble sarcophagus of Emperor Friedrich III of Germany and his

    wife Victoria. Two of their sons who died in infancy, are also burried in this mausoleum.

    The 18th century Antique Temple in Sanssouci Park is also a mausoleum for members

    of the House of Hohenzollern. The small temple is closed to visitors.

  9. Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin - Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin: The Green Fence near the Church of Peace in Sanssouci Park in Potsdam. Sanssouci Park is an ensemble...

    Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin: The Green Fence near the Church of Peace

    in Sanssouci Park in Potsdam. Sanssouci Park is an ensemble of palaces and gardens,

    built under Frederick the Great during the 18th century. Sanssouci Palace is the main

    focus. Sanssouci was the summer residence and favourite palace of King Frederick the

    Great. The Green Fence, or the Green Gate, is the main entrance into Sanssouci Park.

    The park is decorated with fountains, follies, flower and fruit gardens.

  10. Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin - Cecilienhof Palace was built in the period 1914-1917. Cecilienhof was created in the style of an English country house. It was the...

    Cecilienhof Palace was built in the period 1914-1917. Cecilienhof was created in the style

    of an English country house. It was the last palace built in Potsdam by the Hohenzollern

    dynasty. It was the residence of Crown Prince Wilhelm of Germany and his wife Cecilie.

    Cecilienhof Palace was used for the Potsdam Conference in 1945. The red flower star in

    the courtyard was planted by Soviet army forces in 1945. Cecilienhof Palace is situated

    in the northern part of the Neuer Garten, the New Park in Potsdam.

  11. Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin - Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin: The Neues Palais was built in 1763-1769.  The Neues Palais, the New...

    Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin: The Neues Palais was built in 1763-1769. 

    The Neues Palais, the New Palace, is situated in Sanssouci Park in Potsdam. In the central

    part of the palace are four staterooms. The Rococo theatre inside the palace was built in the

    18th century and is still in use today. The Grottensaal and Marmorsaal are the most notable

    rooms of the palace. The Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin gained the status as an

    UNESCO World Heritage in 1999.

  12. Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin - Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin: The Neues Palais, the New Palace, in Potsdam. The Neues Palais was built under King Frederick the...

    Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin: The Neues Palais, the New Palace, in Potsdam.

    The Neues Palais was built under King Frederick the Great in 1763-1769. For the king, the

    Neues Palais was not his principal residence, he used the Neues Palais for the reception of

    important royals and dignitaries, Frederick the Great lived in Sanssouci Palace, his favorite

    palace. The Neues Palais was also the residence of Wilhelm II, the last German Emperor.

    The palace is part of the UNESCO World Heritage: Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin.

  13. Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin - Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin: The ball room of the Neues Palais in Potsdam. After the abdication of Kaiser Wilhelm II in 1918, he...

    Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin: The ball room of the Neues Palais in Potsdam.

    After the abdication of Kaiser Wilhelm II in 1918, he fled to exile in the Netherlands. Most of

    the furniture of the Neues Palais was taken to the residence of Wilhelm II at House Doorn

    in the Netherlands. Some of the furniture was looted by the Soviet Army during WW II.

    The majority of the furniture was discovered in the Netherlands in 1970, still in the packing

    crates, the furniture was returned to Potsdam. Now, the Neues Palais looks as it did in 1918.

  14. Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin - Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin: The bathroom of Empress Augusta Victoria in the Royal apartments of the Neues Palais in Potsdam....

    Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin: The bathroom of Empress Augusta Victoria in

    the Royal apartments of the Neues Palais in Potsdam. Empress Augusta Victoria was the

    wife of Emperor Wilhelm II, the last emperor of Germany. The royal bath was integrated

    in one of the wardrobes, the walls were excessively decorated with hand painted Dutch

    Delft Blue tiles. After the abdication of the German emperor Wilhelm II in 1918, the Neues

    Palais became a museum.

  15. Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin - Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin: Sanssouci Palace was built for King Frederick the Great in 1745-1747. Sanssouci Palace was the...

    Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin: Sanssouci Palace was built for King Frederick

    the Great in 1745-1747. Sanssouci Palace was the favourite palace of Frederick the Great.

    He died in Sanssouci Palace and was burried in the forecourt of the palace, next to his much

    beloved dogs. Sanssouci is often considered the German rival to the Palace of Versailles in

    France, but it is far smaller. The palace is situated in Sanssouci Park in Potsdam. Sanssouci

    Palace is part of the UNESCO World Heritage: Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin.