World Heritage Photos

Churches of Peace in Jawor and Świdnica

The Churches of Peace in Jawor and Świdnica are located about 55 km from Wrocław, the capital city of Lower Silesia in Poland. The Churches of Peace in were built after the Peace of Westphalia in 1648. The Churches of Peace were also named after the Peace of Westphalia. The Roman Catholic authorities in Silesia permitted Lutheran Protestants to build three Evangelical churches from wood and clay, without steeples, bells and outside the town wall. The time of construction was limited to one year. The Church of Peace in Glogów was built in 1651, but this church burned down in 1758. The Church of Peace in Jawor was built in 1654-1655. The Church of Peace in Jawor can accommodate around 6000 people. The Church of Peace in Świdnica was built in 1656-1657. The Church of Peace in Świdnica can accommodate about 7500 people. The unique Baroque interior of the Churches of Peace in Jawor and Świdnica is lavishly decorated. The remaining two Churches of Peace are the largest religious wood-and-clay buildings in Europe. The small towns of Jawor and Świdnica became part of Poland as the result of the Potsdam Conference in 1945. The Churches of Peace in Jawor and Świdnica gained were declared an UNESCO World Heritage in 2001.

www.werelderfgoedfotos.nl   © Copyright   World Heritage Photos

Churches of Peace in Jawor and Świdnica - The Church of Peace in Świdnica is the largest wooden Baroque church in the world. The Churches of Peace in Jawor and Świdnica were built after...

The Church of Peace in Świdnica is the largest wooden Baroque church in the world. The Churches of Peace in Jawor and Świdnica were built after the Peace of Westphalia in 1648. The Churches of Peace were named after the Peace of Westphalia. The interior of the Church of Peace in Świdnicais is adorned with Baroque paintings depicting scenes from the apocalyptic visions of St. John the Evangelist, the paintings have been preserved intact. The Churches of Peace in Jawor and Świdnica were declared an UNESCO World Heritage in 2001.

  1. Churches of Peace in Jawor and Świdnica - The Church of Peace in Świdnica is the largest wooden Baroque church in the world. The Churches of Peace in Jawor and Świdnica were built after...

    The Church of Peace in Świdnica is the largest wooden Baroque church in the world. The Churches of Peace in Jawor and Świdnica were built after the Peace of Westphalia in 1648. The Churches of Peace were named after the Peace of Westphalia. The interior of the Church of Peace in Świdnicais is adorned with Baroque paintings depicting scenes from the apocalyptic visions of St. John the Evangelist, the paintings have been preserved intact. The Churches of Peace in Jawor and Świdnica were declared an UNESCO World Heritage in 2001.

  2. Churches of Peace in Jawor and Świdnica - Churches of Peace in Jawor and Świdnica: The wood-and-clay Church of Peace in Świdnica. Roman Catholic authorities in Silesia permitted Lutherans...

    Churches of Peace in Jawor and Świdnica: The wood-and-clay Church of Peace in Świdnica. Roman Catholic authorities in Silesia permitted Lutherans to build three churches from wood and clay outside the town wall, without steeples and church bells. The construction time was limited to one year. The Church of Peace in Głogów was built in 1651, but this church burned down in 1758. The Church of Peace in Jawor was built in 1654-1655. The Church of Peace in Świdnica was built in 1656-1657.

  3. Churches of Peace in Jawor and Świdnica - The Churches of Peace in Jawor and Świdnica: The Church of Peace in Świdnica. The Polish Churches of Peace are the largest religious wood-and-clay...

    The Churches of Peace in Jawor and Świdnica: The Church of Peace in Świdnica. The Polish Churches of Peace are the largest religious wood-and-clay buildings in Europe. The Church of Peace in Świdnica can accommodate about 7500 people. The Church of Peace in Świdnica is situated about 30 km from the Church of Peace in Jawor. Photography is not allowed inside the Church of Peace in Świdnica. The Churches of Peace in Jawor and Świdnica gained the status as an UNESCO World Heritage in 2001.

  4. Churches of Peace in Jawor and Świdnica - The wood and clay Church of Peace in Jawor can accommodate about 6000 people. In the Roman-Catholic parts of Silesia protestant were not...

    The wood and clay Church of Peace in Jawor can accommodate about 6000 people. In the Roman-Catholic parts of Silesia protestant were not allowed to have steeples or bells to their churches. The Church of Peace in Jawor was built in 1654-1655. The bell tower of the Church of Peace in Jawor was added in 1707. The churches are situated about 55 km from Wrocław, the capital city of Lower Silesia in Poland. The Churches of Peace in Jawor and Świdnica gained the status as an UNESCO World Heritage.

  5. Churches of Peace in Jawor and Świdnica - The tower of the Church of Peace in the Polish town of Jawor was built in 1707. The Church of Peace in Jawor is part of the UNESCO World...

    The tower of the Church of Peace in the Polish town of Jawor was built in 1707. The Church of Peace in Jawor is part of the UNESCO World Heritage: Churches of Peace in Jawor and Świdnica. The ornate decorations of the church interiors of both churches stands in a stark contrast to their wood-and-clay exterior. Both Peace Churches are still owned by the sparse protestant communities in Jawor and Świdnica. The towns of Jawor and Świdnica became part of Poland as the result of the Potsdam Conference in 1945. 

  6. Churches of Peace in Jawor and Świdnica - Churches of Peace in Jawor and Świdnica: The nave of the Church of Peace in Jawor. The impressive high altar is several storeys tall and dates...

    Churches of Peace in Jawor and Świdnica: The nave of the Church of Peace in Jawor. The impressive high altar is several storeys tall and dates from 1672. The Church of Peace in Jawor has wooden galleries arranged one above the other. The interior of the church is adorned with 180 paintings representing scenes from the Old and New Testament. The ceiling is decorated in white and blue motifs. The Church of Peace in Jawor is situated about 30 km from the Church of Peace Świdnica.

  7. Churches of Peace in Jawor and Świdnica - Churches of Peace in Jawor and Świdnica: The pulpit of the Church of Peace in Jawor was built in 1670. Along the walls are four storeys of...

    Churches of Peace in Jawor and Świdnica: The pulpit of the Church of Peace in Jawor was built in 1670. Along the walls are four storeys of galleries and several balconies. The first and the third galleries were added later. The galleries are decorated with painted scenes from the Bible. The remaining two Churches of Peace are considered to be unique in the world, they are the largest religious wood-and-clay buildings in Europe. The Churches of Peace in Jawor and Świdnica were inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 2001.