World Heritage Photos

Medieval Town of Torun

Medieval Town of Toruń: Toruń was founded by the Teutonic Knights in 1233. Several years later Toruń was relocated to its present location due to recurrent floods. Toruń is situated on the bank of the Vistula River. Toruń remained under the Teutonic rule for over two centuries until the outbreak of the Thirteen Years' War between Poland and the Teutonic Order in 1454. Around 1280 Toruń became a member of the Hanseatic League. The Old Town hall was a symbol of the merchant wealth of Toruń. The 13th century St. John the Baptist and St. John the Evangelist is oldest church of Toruń. Its belfry houses the 'Tuba Dei', the second largest bell in Poland. It was cast in 1500 and until the casting of the Zygmunt bell of the Wawel Cathedral in Krakow, it was the largest bell in Poland. Nicolaus Copernicus was born in Toruń in 1473. The house where he was born is now a museum. Toruń ranks among the most beautiful cities in Poland. The Medieval Town of Toruń gained the status as an UNESCO World Heritage in 1997. Work of Art: Copernicus.

www.werelderfgoedfotos.nl   © Copyright   World Heritage Photos

Medieval Town of Torun - Medieval Town of Toruń: The Mostowa Gate (the Bridge Gate) was built in 1432, it is one of the city gates of Toruń. The Bridge Gate is the most...

Medieval Town of Toruń: The Mostowa Gate (the Bridge Gate) was built in 1432, it is one of the city gates of Toruń. The Bridge Gate is the most impressive of the three still existing city gates of the medieval town of Toruń. Torun was founded by the Teutonic Knights in 1233. The town was relocated to its present location in 1236 due to recurrent floods. The town is situated on the banks of thr Vistula River. Toruń ranks among the most beautiful cities in Poland. The medieval town of Toruń was declared an UNESCO World Heritage in 1997.

  1. Medieval Town of Torun - Medieval Town of Toruń: The Mostowa Gate (the Bridge Gate) was built in 1432, it is one of the city gates of Toruń. The Bridge Gate is the most...

    Medieval Town of Toruń: The Mostowa Gate (the Bridge Gate) was built in 1432, it is one of the city gates of Toruń. The Bridge Gate is the most impressive of the three still existing city gates of the medieval town of Toruń. Torun was founded by the Teutonic Knights in 1233. The town was relocated to its present location in 1236 due to recurrent floods. The town is situated on the banks of thr Vistula River. Toruń ranks among the most beautiful cities in Poland. The medieval town of Toruń was declared an UNESCO World Heritage in 1997.

  2. Medieval Town of Torun - Medieval Town of Toruń: The ruins of the Castle of the Teutonic Knights, also known as the German Order. The Castle of the Teutonic Knights was...

    Medieval Town of Toruń: The ruins of the Castle of the Teutonic Knights, also known as the German Order. The Castle of the Teutonic Knights was erected after 1236 on the location of an older castle. The castle was the headquarters of the commander and one of the most important convents of the Teutonic Knights. The castle in Torun was one of the first fortified bases of the Teutonic Knights. The castle was torn down during the burgher uprising against the Teutonic Knights in 1454, the beginning  of the Thirteen Years' War.

  3. Medieval Town of Torun - Medieval Town of Toruń: The baptismal font, used for baptizing Nicolaus Copernicus, in the Church of  St. John the Baptist and St. John...

    Medieval Town of Toruń: The baptismal font, used for baptizing Nicolaus Copernicus, in the Church of  St. John the Baptist and St. John the Evangelist, since 1992 the Toruń Cathedral. The former Church of St. John the Baptist and St. John the Evangelist was the oldest church of Toruń. The 13th century church became its present shape in the 15th century, the belfry houses the second largest bell in Poland, 'Tuba Dei' (God's Trumpet), cast in 1500, it was the largest bell in Poland until the casting of the Zygmunt Bell of Wawel Cathedral in Kraków.

  4. Medieval Town of Torun - Medieval Town of Toruń: The Church of the Virgin Mary houses an impressive ornamented altar. The church was built in stages during the 14th...

    Medieval Town of Toruń: The Church of the Virgin Mary houses an impressive ornamented altar. The church was built in stages during the 14th century. Some 14th century frescoes and the 15th century oak stalls have been preserved. In the presbytery stands the tomb of princess Anna Vasa, the sister of King Sigismund III of Poland. After her death, for religious reasons her body had to wait 11 years for a funeral. The Pope had first forbidden the burial of a Protestant in the blessed earth of Catholic Poland.

  5. Medieval Town of Torun - Medieval Town of Toruń: The Copernicus Monument in front of the Toruń Old Town Hall. The Toruń Old Town Hall dates back to the end of the 14th...

    Medieval Town of Toruń: The Copernicus Monument in front of the Toruń Old Town Hall. The Toruń Old Town Hall dates back to the end of the 14th century. A  third storey, mannerist corner turrets and new gables were added in the period 1603-1604. The Old Town hall was a symbol of Toruń's merchant wealth. It was the place where Polish kings would stay on their visits to Toruń. The Old Town Hall houses now a museum.

  6. Medieval Town of Torun - Medieval Town of Toruń: The birth house of the famous astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus. In Kopernika Street are situated two...

    Medieval Town of Toruń: The birth house of the famous astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus. In Kopernika Street are situated two Gothic patrician houses: number 15 and number 17. In 1473, Copernicus was born in one of these houses. Nowadays, the two buildings houses the Nicolaus Copernicus Museum. Among the exhibits is a model of 15th century Torun and objects related to the great astronomer Copernicus and the furnishing of a Gothic patrician house.

  7. Medieval Town of Torun - Medieval Town of Toruń: One of the rooms in the birth house of Nicolaus Copernicus. Today, the house where Copernicus was born is the Nicolaus...

    Medieval Town of Toruń: One of the rooms in the birth house of Nicolaus Copernicus. Today, the house where Copernicus was born is the Nicolaus Copernicus Museum. The house at Kopernika Street number 15 / 17 is a well preserved medieval merchant's house. Around 1280, Toruń became a member of the Hanseatic League and it was the largest and most important inland port of the Hanseatic League.

  8. Medieval Town of Torun - Medieval Town of Toruń: The white Dąmbski Palace and the Cathedral of Toruń. The palace was built in 1693 by bishop Stanislaw Dąmbski....

    Medieval Town of Toruń: The white Dąmbski Palace and the Cathedral of Toruń. The palace was built in 1693 by bishop Stanislaw Dąmbski. Nowadays, the Dąmbski Palace houses the Faculty of Fine Arts of the Nicolaus Copernicus University. The Cathedral of Toruń and the Dąmbski Palace ranks among the most beautiful buildings in the medieval town of Toruń.

  9. Medieval Town of Torun - Medieval Town of Torun: The Gothic St. James's Church of Torun was built by the Teutonic Knights in the 14th century. A row of chapels on...

    Medieval Town of Torun: The Gothic St. James's Church of Torun was built by the Teutonic Knights in the 14th century. A row of chapels on either side of the St. James's Church was built in the period 1359-1424, the tower was added in the 15th century. The interior of the St. James's Church is decorated with 14th and 15th century paintings. The south aisle is decorated with the 14th century Gothic 'Mystical crucifix'.

  10. Medieval Town of Torun - Medieval Town of Toruń: The Leaning Tower of Toruń, Krzywa Wieża, was built as a part of the medieval town walls of Toruń. The tower was...

    Medieval Town of Toruń: The Leaning Tower of Toruń, Krzywa Wieża, was built as a part of the medieval town walls of Toruń. The tower was built in the 14th century as a straight tower. The tower leans due to instability of the ground. In the 19the century, the Leaning Tower of Toruń became a residential building. Nowadays, the tower houses a restaurant. The medieval town of Toruń gained the status as an UNESCO World Heritage in 1997.